Thursday 19 May 2011

Flying Dragon...

Just by a chance comment on twitter with @LeeCrymble - I was saying that Ormes de Pez was a fair price but that I tended to buy Phelan Segur and/or Lafon Rochet in that category (good value drinking St.Estephe) - it came to light that Phelan Segur translates as "Flying Dragon". As a result may this will be the next Chateau to "fly" if you'll pardon the pun?

People often wonder which chateau will next "do a Lafite, Carruades, Duhart", Beychevelle has done likewise to a lesser degree (and the 2010 has this miute some out at £650ish). I would have majorly mixed feelings if it does take off. On the one hand I love the wine (I have some in my cellar and my son's) and I like the people. On the other I am not a massive fan of "investment" distorting the market. I have done quite a few tastings of Phelan over the years and recently did a run at the chateau of 2001 to 2010, particularly liking 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009(which was a relief as I sold a lot of it) and 2010 (also a relief as it the next one out and having sold a chunk of vineyard to Montrose between 2009 & 2010 there might have been a worry). I also feel the strong, striking image (which I love but not everyone does) is a potential help to it taking off.

So will this dragon fly? Only time will tell but if it does the sub £300 a case price tag will be long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment