Saturday 24 March 2012

A "blind" Petit Corona...

As it was a gorgeous early spring Saturday morning I thought I would try the first of three blind cigars I have as part of a friendly competition. The vast majority of smokes I have are in the evening but as this is for a competition I thought I would have it in the morning after a big breakfast with just water and coffee as accompaniment. A morning smoke is also a good excuse for having another later!!


Aroma pre-smoking: Woody straw and a touch of caramel. wonderful oily but not dark wrapper.
Cold draw: "Sweet" leather and a creamy vanilla hint.
Opening: Good smoke, nice cuban draw (this means ever so slightly tight, as it should be), good burn. Medium no more than that. Woody, leather like the cold, touch of black pepper, creamy texture, the caramel is more mellow butterscotch, nice start.
1st Third: Definitely a young cigar (2011) not something I have had before and the one marque it reminds me of don't do this size as far as I am aware. Still some black pepper but overridingly the taste is of newish leather and texture of cream, the butterscotch has gone and been replaced with under sweet shortbread.
2nd Third: I will buy a box if reasonable in price, nice change from the more chocolate and cocoa cigar profile you can get...the youth has meant there isn't much more development in this third, still good, leather and a bit of spice with flavours getting a little darker, strong black tea in there somewhere. Construction and draw remain perfect...

Final Third: a bit of "animal" appeared in the last third, good stuff, some real punchy richer but not stronger favours, no tar showing which is good, whiter pepper and still that leathery core....
Overall: 89-91, impressive and a little different, would love another in 6months as I think it will have developed...



I'll know what "it" was by the 3rd or 4th of April so will post the answer then. There are three cigars in the competition, up next is a Corona Gorda (a size I love, 6x46) then a Churchill. Looking forward to those...

No comments:

Post a Comment